Friday, December 08, 2006

Advanced QuickBooks Certification

Now Intuit is offering Advanced QuickBooks Certification to set more experienced ProAdvisors apart from the newer people. You need to be certified in QuickBooks 2005-2007, take some free webinars and attend an on-site 2-day workshop. I decided to do it despite the costs of the on-site. Intuit's fee of $236 (half price for both days) I considered very reasonable, but since I live in the middle of nowhere, I had to pay travel, hotel and food costs as well. It was a significant expenditure. I just returned from the on-site and here are my thoughts.
Most of the attendees were CPA's which was disappointing. The teacher was also a CPA so the seminars had a slant which did not suit my business. The seminars were not held solely for advanced ProAdvisors but were open to anyone who wanted to take the classes, so there were basic discussions which put me to sleep. Intuit really needs to have these classes open ONLY to ProAdvisors. Even though most people were certified, they were relatively new to ProAdvisorship while I'd been doing this for 10 years. So I didn't learn much, but many people did. In short, there was nothing in those seminars that couldn't have been done on webinars, thereby saving me time and money. On the other hand, the trip probably weeded out the ProAdvisors not serious enough to make the commitment. I kept in mind that I was fulfilling the requirement to get the Advanced Certification tag on the QuickBooks referral database, and I hope it's worth it in the end. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good informative post on quick books.
Certified QuickBooks Consultant.